Before getting started, it’s important to know that Garaga window frames are made of polypropylene and not PVC. The frame is one-piece (molded in a single casting) and without joints. Follow these steps to get excellent results:
Use latex paint to repaint the window frames on your garage door.
- Cover the surface around the frame as well as the glass with masking tape.
- To obtain the best results, a coat of primer is needed (ex.: Benjamin Moore: STIX Bonding Primer)
- Use latex paint (100% acrylic, exterior).
- Start by washing the frame with trisodium phosphate (TSP).
- Lightly sand the surface with fine sandpaper (grade 180 or 220). Acetone does not need to be used to soften the PVC.
- Do not apply paint in direct sunlight.
- A second coat may be needed. You be the judge.